The Eagle Has Landed

I am writing this on Friday at 9:45 p.m., but my computer thinks it is Friday at 1:45 a.m. It’s a little confused. Understandably so. On Tuesday morning at 9 a.m. we blew our last good-bye kisses through the window glass and walked outside to the small commuter plane that would take us from Hobbs, NM to Houston, TX. We turned and waved at the beloved faces peeking through the concrete architectural forms separating them from the runway we were walking across. It was real. Very real. Suddenly, all of the months of planning, preparation, travel, speaking, selling, packing, support raising, and Skype meetings were being realized as we walked up the steps to our small plane. We said good bye to all we had known before as we crossed the threshold anticipating the time we’d start saying “Hello” to all of the new.

An hour and 45 minutes in the air to Houston.

Super rushed layover.

4.5 hours in the air from Houston to San Francisco.

Super long layover. (4.5 hours)

14 hours in the air from San Francisco to Auckland, NZ.

2 hours collecting bags, navigating the airport with four luggage carts, setting up phones, and passing through customs.

30-minute stop for breakfast.

1 hour 30-minute drive to our house.

27 hours from door to door.

And a day. Somewhere over the Pacific Ocean after we passed Hawaii crossed the international dateline and lost a day. The computer still hasn’t caught up.

That said, it all went as smoothly as it possibly could have. We checked 11 bags with relative ease (No, they were not free. Yes, they did cost significantly less than shipping.) We made every single flight on time. Quentin napped part of the way to San Francisco, walked a traveling cat on a leash in the airport, was thrilled to watch a couple of movies, and played happily with his toys. Then, we propped up the foot rest on our Sky Couch (a real thing you can see here, but don’t be fooled…it’s not that much space ;)) and slept our way across the Pacific Ocean.

All 11 checked bags, the stroller bag, the car seat bag, the guitar, the two carry-on roller bags, and our carry-ons all made it, and so did we.

We were greeted warmly by Neville and Joyce Bartle, our District Superintendents, and Jim and Nancy Clayton, the interim pastors who have been simultaneously preparing the way and holding down the fort for us. Quentin, in turn, doled out hugs readily, delighted with the grandparent-esque attention.

The grass is green, the hills are rolling, the plant-life is diverse, the guys in Santa costumes are sweating, and the people are driving on the left side of the road—but more on all of that later. For now, our bodies think it’s 2:20 a.m. and we should go to bed. Saturday is almost here. 😉



    • Thank you!! Me too! I think I was most worried that we’d have trouble checking so many bags in Hobbs, even though Jaron called in advance. You just never know. We are so grateful that it was smooth sailing! Hugs to you!

    • Thank you!! Q was excited to unpack his blue penguin. We’ve read the courageous sea dog book dozens of times. When we were flying into Auckland, we flew over an area that looked similar to where the sea dog was found. We were talking about that as we landed! Thank you so much for such thoughtful gifts! <3

  1. So thankful you made it! It sounds like Quentin was a real trooper! I know you must be exhausted and filled with so many feelings. We’re so excited for you as you all begin this new adventure. I know God will use you in so many ways.
    Love you all!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *